BrokeBlog Event! The Week Formerly known as Prince.

This Thursday Minnesota lost probably its biggest and greatest star:

 Prince. 



 For those that don't know BBM is based out of Minnesota. Both Blog and Broke were born and raised here. 


 Prince was a pretty big deal here. (and everywhere) one of the greatest musicians ever. And probably the only guy who would walk into a room in lipstick and eye shadow and steal every woman in the place.


 Prince basically invented what would later be called the Minneapolis sound. A funk, pop, new wave, and Rock hybrid sound. 



 Prince marched through the 80-90's virtually unrivaled in musical greatness. When you consider Bowie Died early this year 2016 might very well be the year the 80's finally died. 



 As a resident of Minneapolis area most my life I can not even began to express in words how much Prince I have heard over the course of my life. 


 My Class song is even 1999. Because I graduated in 99, get it.


 I think the thing that has shook me most is the reaction to his death. Minneapolis is full of dick bag contrarians. 


 Some call themselves hipsters, I think they prefer to be called cyclists now....I don't care.


 The point is my whole life here in Minnesota, you show someone something you love and 3 assholes at the bar will tell you who did it first, or its not that good, or they used to love that before they got their first tube of Mustache Wax. 


 Not with Prince though. We are now 3 days past his death and I still have not heard one bad word. The closet was someone telling me “I wasn't that big of a fan of his music but he was rad.” And he was rad. 

 The entire city of Minneapolis felt it.
 I have never been so glad to be in my home town and at the same time so sad for all my friends that have moved around the globe and were not able to be here to experience what I can only describe as a city saying good bye to its most loved icon, ever. 



 Thursday, (the day he died) 4 radio stations were playing Prince. The current (a local radio station) played his whole discography from A-Z. Both Lowery Bridge and 35w bridge have been lit up in purple and will remain all weekend by Governors decree. Target field (The home of the Twins) played Purple Rain in the station for free.


 And last but certainly not least. 

 First Avenue 
“The House that Prince Built”



 has hosted all night dance parties Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Thursday night went well past 7am. Thursday the entire street was blocked off as people danced in the street mourned and eventually sang Purple Rain together.


 Prince was not just a star, he was one of us. He never left. He lived here.  That was important to him.  This place was his family.  And for a weekend all of Minneapolis was a sad family.


 We had lost a part of ourselves. And so it is with a heavy heart. That I am pleased to announce. A Broke Blog Event! The Week Formerly known as Prince. This whole week we will pay tribute to The Greatest Minnesotan of this or likely any life time. Rest In Peace Prince we will miss you.








~BrokeBlogmountain

Comments

Popular Posts