UFC Stands for: Undecided Fight Club




Jones vs Cormier was last night.



 It was a fight packed with action from the first round bell. As the fight began, Jones and Cormier went to the center of the ring and fought for 3 and a half rounds. Then proceeded to hug each other for 1 and a half round. Then the judges decision left me feeling hollow. 


 I think I might be done with UFC. I can no longer and sit back watching two men give it their all only to be cut short buy a format that doesn't decide anything. The judges got the right decision. Jones did win the fight. But when the last bell sounded nothing was proven. If that fight had gone 5 more rounds it was a coin flip at best.  


I do not pretend to be the leading mind on MMA. What I am is a boxing fan who came over to MMA when Boxing got boring as dirt. Circa Mayweather and the klitschko's. 


 As I UFC 182 wrapped up. I realized I had only caught 1 KO. Granted I did not watch the whole thing as I was working. But what is the point of having a fight if the fighters don't get to decide it?


As MMA has grown over the last 20 years, the evolution of the fighter has drastically changed. A decade or more ago, fights were being stopped, decisions were rare.


As fighters actually became trained athletes, their conditioning and athletic abilities have increased compared to the early-mid 90's. Athletes that are more well rounded and better trained equals more decisions due to the high level of competitiveness and conditioning.


A decision does not show a clear cut winner (sometimes it does) fights seem to be heading to decisions at a rapid rate. And a lot of fans like me are left with a hollow feeling. Hell, there was more resolution in the press conference of UFC 182 than the actual fights. The UFC should implement rule changes. One of the things that lead UFC to claw its way above boxing was the ability to adapt and change the sport to the fans making it more exciting for all involved. It is time for them to change again. 


 Maybe adapt the old pride fighting rules of a one 10 minute round and 2 rounds of five minutes. Five 3-minute rounds wouldn't be a terrible idea less opportunities for 2 rounds of lay-n-pray on the back of the cage. Also at what point can you fire a ref in the UFC. Herb Dean let the Fight of the Night turn into a lets lean here and not work fest. 


The most action in the fifth round was when Cormier popped Herb in the mouth after the bell. As entertaining as MMA is to watch it seems its more about the spectacle and less about the actual fighting. The only decisions reached last night was that Jones and Cormier can fight to a 5 round standstill, and the decision to be OK with that as fans. 


 Maybe it is time for me to go back to watching Boxing. 


 Where when I buy a Pay-Per-View I get to see more than 2 winners on the main card. MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. But thanks to the UFC it is starting to seem more like: Marginalized martial Arts.


 I hope something changes. But I doubt it will. So loser by unanimous decision, All the fans of actual fighting.



~BRB

(Broke Really Broke)

Comments

Popular Posts