Another Prince thing? I guess

Man you gotta be getting pretty sick of Prince Posts by now.  Guess what here comes another one!  Behold. 


The time I met Prince.




I used to work in a restaurant, it was in Eden prairie, Minnesota.  Prince used to order hundreds of dollars in to go food, every 2-3 weeks. (Eden prairie is very close to chanhassen where he lived.). 

The order would say Paisley Park. 



 9 out of 10 times someone would come pick it up who was not Prince.  We were instructed,  if Prince did come in, we were not to make eye contact, or talk to him.  One night I was working the closing shift and a short dude walked in wearing  sunglasses and a hat.  And I thought "man that guy kinda looks like Prince."  I went in the kitchen and saw the slip "Paisley Park"
I rushed out and started talking to him.  I said "hey Prince, I am a big fan."  Like a complete Asshole.



  He took off his glasses.  And I looked directly in his eyes, he said "Hey thanks."  And then asked if I was a musician, I said "no, I am a standup comedian."  Hey smiled and said that was "cool". Then we exchanged small talk I think even said something about the weather (we are both Minnesotans after all).  He was very soft when he talked and his voice was very quiet.  Not what I expected from a man who had shaped my youth with things like "let's Go Crazy"


Anyways after some time has past he paid (left an awesome 30% tip). Then was gone.  My manager fuming grabbed me and said "office now!"  He barely got the door shut before he started yelling at me.  "What the hell do you think you were doing out there?!"  I couldn't contain my smile.  I responded "talking to Prince!"  Still smiling at what had happened.  My boss looked at me still pissed and said "you want to not work here anymore?  Do you even care about this job?"


I looked and honestly said.  "I don't care.  I just got to talk to Prince and if you think that's not worth losing that a shitty waiting tables job, I don't know what to tell you."
He smiled and said "I am still writing you up."
I said "I understand"
He never did write me up, but he did make it know I was to never handle Prince's to go orders again.

Worth it.



~Blog

Comments

Popular Posts